From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 7:06 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: May American court appoint only Muslim arbitrators, pursuant to an
arbitration agreement?

That's the issue lurking in In re Aramco Servs.
Co.<http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=11521915190435651264>, now on
appeal to the Texas Supreme Court. DynCorp and Aramco Services (both of which
were at the time Delaware corporations headquartered in Houston, though Aramco
Services is a subsidiary of Saudi
Aramco<https://www.aramcoservices.com/about/>, the Saudi government's oil
company) signed an agreement under which DynCorp was to create a computer
system (in the U.S.) and install it at Aramco's Saudi facilities. The contract
provided that it was to be interpreted under Saudi law, and arbitrated under
Saudi arbitration rules and regulations. Those rules and regulations apparently
call for the arbitrators to be Muslim Saudi citizens. The trial court, however,
appointed a three-arbitrator panel consisting of a Muslim (apparently a Saudi)
and two non-Muslim non-Saudis. Aramco appealed, arguing that (1) under the
contract the arbitrators were not supposed to be appointed by a court, and, (2)
in the alternative, that the court erred in appointing non-Muslim non-Saudis.

The Texas Court of Appeals agreed with Aramco on item 1, and therefore didn't
reach item 2. But there is an interesting constitutional issue lurking in the
background: If a contract does call for a court to appoint arbitrators, and
provides that the arbitrators must be Muslims (or Jews or Catholics or what
have you), may a court implement that provision, or does the First Amendment or
the Equal Protection Clause bar the court - a government entity - from
discriminating based on religion this way, even pursuant to a party agreement?
Any thoughts on this?