If Marci is correct about the scope of the Boerne decision, it is quite odd
that not a single Justice mentioned this, even in a footnote, in the O
Centro case, in which RFRA was successfully applied to create an exemption
from the federal law of controlled substances.  That loud silence suggests
that others on the list are correct that the separation of powers concern in
Boerne is completely tied up with federalism (where Congress may not create
new substantive rights to religious freedom, beyond what the free exercise
clause requires).  As applied to the federal government, that "congruence"
objection does not apply, although the Establishment Clause still does.  And
I think -- to get back to Andy Koppelman's original question -- that
Stevens' broad Establishment Clause view in Boerne cannot be reconciled with
opinions he later joined in Cutter and O Centro.  Stevens did change his
mind on a number of issues over the years -- affirmative action is a good
example -- and this may be such a case.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Volokh, Eugene <vol...@law.ucla.edu> wrote:

>        I don't see the Court's analysis as resting on the view that the
> statute violated separation of powers, as opposed to being outside
> Congress's enumerated powers.  But, Marci, is your view that the Court
> changed its mind on the separation of powers question from Boerne to Cutter?
>  Or that the separation of powers question remains live despite Cutter?
>
>        Eugene

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053