Presumably a political party could do the same and probably lots of other
ideological organizations could too given the Boy scout decision resting on
freedom of ideological non- association.
Marc

From: Finkelman, Paul <paul.finkel...@albanylaw.edu>
[mailto:paul.finkel...@albanylaw.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 09:09 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: RE: Interesting late 1800s Arkansas law related to government and
religion

Marci:

Presumably there is a free exercise right to expel people from your church for
having the wrong political ideas.  So, I suppose if the church leaders say "you
must support candidate x" and a member does not, and openly supports "y" then
it is a free exercise right for the Church to expel the member.

Paul Finkelman, Ph.D.
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY 12208

518-445-3386 (p)