Eric-- my point was that in this era there are a lot of sincere animal rights
advocates and that drawing from the past for pretext is irrelevant for a
constitutional analysis today.

Where is your evidence of pretext today?  The assumption of pretext is frankly
offensive.

  And, yes, the Becket Fund is as unpopular with the animal protection groups
as it is with children's groups.   The pursuit of religious liberty in cases
where others are harmed is controversial to say the least.

Marci