I appreciate Doug's point, but I wonder whether the difference between
children and adults might actually be especially significant here.  After all,
when it comes to adults, we don't order them to go to school, or allow the
police to pick them up in order to bring them home to their parents, or give
their parents the right to withhold their property if they come home late or
fail to keep the parent posted about where they are.  As courts have pointed
out, a child -- unlike an adult -- is always in someone's custody, in the sense
that someone (whether parent, school official, or what have you) is entitled to
control the child's actions in ways that are not tolerated as to adults.
Children aren't in the custody of the prisons or the pretrial release system;
but they are in the custody of someone.

        The question is whether the propriety of these restrictions on liberty
of movement (applicable to children and to others) also supports restrictions
on liberty from surveillance of one's movements.  I'm inclined to say that it
does, though I might be mistaken.