I don't know why the relevant time frame is post-Sherbert and pre-Smith.
 Braunfeld v. Brown (1961) is just two years prior to Sherberrt, and all of
the Justices take quite seriously (though only Brennan, the author of
Sherbert, and Stewart, actually accept) the free exercise claims of Mr.
Braunfeld, an Orthodox Jew compelled by faith to close his business on
Saturday, who is complaining about the impact of a Sunday Closing Law on
the economic survival of his business.  There is no mention of whether the
business is held in the corporate form, but the entire context of the case
is business regulation.  Language in Braunfeld proved to be central to the
move to strict scrutiny in Sherbert just two years later, so it's quite
artificial to make Sherbert a time boundary on the question of business
enterprises asserting free exercise rights.

I also wonder whether the same progressives who call for corporate social
conscience (on matters of labor, environment, etc.), are now trying to
explain why corporations don't have religious consciences.  I have deep
doubts about the merits of these RFRA claims brought by business
corporations, but their status as "persons" is not one of them.  I think
the government wasted a lot of time and energy pushing these arguments, and
by doing so suggested to the courts that the government's other arguments
were weak (and some of them are not so weak at all).

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 7:10 PM, James Oleske <jole...@lclark.edu> wrote:

> In considering whether Nelson and Micah fairly characterize as "off the
> wall" the argument that for-profit corporations are entitled to
> free-exercise exemptions under RFRA, it might be helpful to recall two
> things the Supreme Court said about religious liberty claims by for-profit
> business owners in the post-Sherbert/pre-Smith era:
>
> "so patently frivolous"
>
> That is how the Supreme Court described the contention of a restaurant
> owner who claimed that 1964 Civil Rights Act "constitute[d] an interference
> with the free exercise of [his] religion." Newman v. Piggie Park
> Enterprises, Inc., 390 U.S. 400, 402 n.5. Although the restaurant owner's
> religion compelled him "to oppose any integration of the races whatever,"
> 256 F. Supp. 941, 944 (D.S.C. 1966), and although the 1964 Civil Rights Act
> required him to serve all races in his restaurants, the Court characterized
> the argument as frivolous without engaging in any balancing of burdens and
> interests.
>
> "When followers of a particular sect enter into commercial activity as a
> matter of choice, the limits they accept on their own conduct as a matter
> of conscience and faith are not to be superimposed on the statutory schemes
> which are binding on others in that activity. Granting an exemption from
> social security taxes to an employer operates to impose the employer's
> religious faith on the employees."
>
> - United States v. Lee, 455 U.S. 252, 261 (1982)
>
> Professor Berg offers an argument below that would have the effect of
> replacing the phrase "are not to be superimposed" in this passage with the
> phrase "may be superimposed if, after weighing the impact of the exemption
> on employees and the employer, the balance comes out in favor of the
> employer." That may well be a fine argument for taking a new approach, and
> it may well prevail in the current Court, but it does seem quite different
> from what the Court actually did and said about for-profit commercial
> exemption claims during the era of free-exercise jurisprudence that RFRA
> aimed to restore. (As for the Amos decision, it explicitly distinguished
> the nonprofit activities protected in that case from activities in the
> "commercial, profit-making world.")
>
> Are there any other post-Sherbert/pre-Smith cases besides *Piggie Park *and
> *Lee *in which the Supreme Court commented on commercial religious
> liberty claims?
>
> If not, I'm inclined to conclude that Nelson and Micah's characterization
> is spot on: "These corporate religious freedom cases are truly without
> precedent, yet they are coming to be viewed by the media and the courts as
> though they are part of a natural legal progression."
>

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Berg, Thomas C. <tcb...@stthomas.edu>wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>  1.  I wonder whether it's really helpful or effective to start by
>> dismissing an argument as something "off the wall" that somehow,
> [...]

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053