From: Ira Lupu <icl...@law.gwu.edu>
Date: 11/27/2013 8:14 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: Discrimination under Title VII and RFRA (was "Patently Frivolous")

All of Marci's hypotheticals are loaded up, because they involve direct
imposition on women's behavior (wear head scarves, don't use certain medicines
or drugs) rather than just refusing to pay for the relevant goods.  And Marci's
claim that Hobby Lobby and others are engaging in religious discrimination
seems wrong to me -- the refusal to cover affects every female employee,
regardless of her religious beliefs or affiliation or conduct.

But Marci's argument that Hobby Lobby and others are engaging in sex
discrimination, in violation, of Title VII, seems much more persuasive  - the
coverage refusal affects all women and only women, and is therefore a sex
discriminatory denial of legally compelled fringe benefits.  I have not read a
single post that replies to that way of framing the argument.   If we view this
as an attempt to gain a RFRA-based exemption from Title VII as well as from the
ACA, does that change the analysis?  Doesn't the government's compelling
interest argument get stronger -- under-inclusion is no longer a problem of the
same degree, and cases like Bob Jones University come into the mix?

Are there good answers to this way of framing the question?  Is it too late for
the government to so frame it in the Supreme Court?

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Michael Worley