Hobby Lobby brief:

http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/13-354-bs-1-copy.pdf

Government brief in Conestoga Wood:

http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/13-356bsUnitedStates-copy.pdf

I have a question for the members of the listserv:

The main point of the government brief is that -- whether one views the
important question as being whether the claim ought to be excluded at the
outset because it's brought by a for-profit corporation and its owners, or
as being whether the claim should survive application of RFRA -- for-profit
employers should not be entitled to RFRA exemptions at the expense of their
employees.  That is to say, the Court should basically adopt what appeared
to have been the stand-alone "holding" in Part III of *Lee*.  Here are the
key passages from pages 18 and 11:

*Petitioners do not cite a single case predating litigation over the
contraceptive-coverage provision in which a court held that either the Free
Exercise Clause or RFRA entitled a for-profit corporation--or its owners,
managers, or directors--to a corporate exemption from generally applicable
business or employment regulation. *To the contrary, this Court has held
that "[w]hen followers of a particular sect enter into commercial activity
as a matter of choice, the limits they accept on their own conduct as a
matter of conscience and faith are not to be superimposed on the statutory
schemes which are binding on others in that activity." Lee, 455 U.S. at
261. Lee rejected the free-exercise claim of a sole proprietor personally
subject to liability for violating the generally applicable provision he
challenged. See Gov't Hobby Lobby Br. 18. The logic of that decision is
even more compelling when such a claim is advanced by a for-profit
corporation, such as Conestoga. Lee is part of the pre-Smith jurisprudence
that Congress meant RFRA to restore, see id. at 15-16, and its rule should
dispose of this case.

* * *

*There is no tradition in our Nation of providing for-profit corporations
with religion-based exemptions from neutral and generally applicable
laws.*Our traditions instead reflect an understanding that to carve
out an
exemption based on the asserted exercise of religion by for-profit
corporations would upset the balance not simply between adherents and the
government, but rather among adherents, the government, and employees and
other third parties who may not share the religious views of the
corporation's owners.
Here's my question for the list, prompted by the government's formulation:
Put aside the question of incorporation, as such.  Have there been any
cases, ever, in which a *for-profit employer* has been afforded a RFRA or
Free Exercise exemption to the detriment of its employees, based either on
its own or its owners/directors' religious exercise?  [Please note that I
am not arguing that if there is no such historical example, it means these
cases should (or should not) be dismissed.  I'm merely wondering whether
the historical account is correct.]

Apologies if this is addressed in one of the amicus briefs and I overlooked
it.

Thanks in advance for any information.