Colleagues -

Two quick things:  First, as Eduardo has said, the "cooperation with evil"
question is tricky and (he and I agree) debatable and debated among informed
Catholics. In my view, though (as Marty and I have discussed a few times), it
is incomplete to think about the burden the mandate might impose on Notre
Dame's religious exercise only in "cooperation" terms (and Fr Jenkins, Notre
Dame's President, has not so limited his account).  RFRA protects more that a
religiously motivated desire to avoid (what the claimant regards as) wrongdoing.

Next, I hope that I am not the only one who is taken aback by Prof. Hamilton's
entirely unsupported but repeated claim that those (admittedly not that many)
who embrace and follow the Catholic Church's proposals regarding sexuality
"typically" have "10-20" children?  I cannot think of a constructive purpose
that this strange claim could serve in this or any other discussion.

Rick

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 16, 2014, at 2:23 PM, "Marci Hamilton"