I agree with Greg's last paragraph.  A legal system that relies only on
legality is doomed.

sandy

From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Sisk, Gregory C.
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 7:25 PM
To: 'Law & Religion issues for Law Academics'
Subject: RE: Notre Dame-- where's the complicit "participation"? Sincerity

The question is not about access to health care or to contraception.  No one
proposes to ban contraception or withdraw it from the market.  Access to
contraception for those who cannot afford it is already widely available
through both government and private efforts.  Government subsidizes
contraception in this country to the tune of $2.37 billion each year (yes,
that's "billion" with a "b").  Chip Lupu offers us the amicus brief of the
Guttmacher Institute in making make the medical case for the benefits of the
mandate.  Others have suggested that the primary motivation behind the
contraception mandate within the Obama Administration was not a medical need
that was not otherwise being addressed, but an ideological agenda.  See Karen
Jordan, The Contraceptive Mandate: Compelling Interest or Ideology? at
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2366466.  My reading of the
materials suggests the latter is the more accurate description.  But I suspect
that this is a matter on which people on this list will leave by the same door
through which they entered.
I want to encourage us to look beyond this particular episode and beyond the
Supreme Court's resolution of the case at hand to the broader implications for
our polity.  Based on the reactions to my prior post, I may have as much
difficulty as anyone in transcending ideological blinders.  If so I apologize
for my clumsy expression but would offer my own error in that respect as an
object lesson for more self-critical evaluation by all of us.  The broader
issue I raised - in which I used diverse examples designed to prick the
sensibilities of both sides of the political spectrum (with some success I
gather) - is the increasing tendency of political winners to then wield the
powers of government to impose that view directly on others, even to the point
of conscripting others to serve that agenda.  It no longer is enough to get
government to do something for us that we want (or stop government from
preventing us from doing something that we want to do).  Now, when we win
political power, we want government to use its powers of regulation and
benefits and taxes to bring everyone else into line, grudging or not.  I think
the health of our society is being undermined by this absolutist approach to
political debates and to governance.
Now Sandy Levinson rightly asks whether this debate advances the ball on the
constitutionality of the mandate before the Supreme Court.  Probably not.  But
then I'm not contending that it does.  I'm suggesting that avoiding
constitutional crises is a value in itself.  Looking for a new approach to
politics that doesn't unnecessarily elevate winners and denigrate losers may be
more important to the future health of our constitutional republic.

Gregory Sisk
Laghi Distinguished Chair in Law
University of St. Thomas School of Law (Minnesota)
MSL 400, 1000 LaSalle Avenue
Minneapolis, MN  55403-2005
651-962-4923
gcs...@stthomas.edu<mailto:gcs...@stthomas.edu>