“He needs to change jobs.” As I said, what you really want is for these people
to go out of business. Barring religious minorities from professions is a very
traditional form of religious persecution. Reviving it here is not the solution
to these disagreements over conscience.

I think that race is constitutionally unique. And it is clear that in the
comparable period with race discrimination laws, resistance was so
geographically concentrated, and so widespread within those locations, that
exemptions would have defeated the purpose of the law. The government would
have had a compelling interest in refusing religious exemptions.

I see no reason to think that we are in anything like that situation with
respect to gay rights today. If it turns out that we are, then there will be a
compelling interest. And under the legislative proposals we have offered, if
all the wedding planners in a community refuse to do gay weddings, then all of
them lose their exemption.

Douglas Laycock

Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law

University of Virginia Law School

580 Massie Road

Charlottesville, VA  22903

     434-243-8546