In the context of discussing Marty's substantial burden argument, Justice Kagan
invoked Braunfeld. I made a similar comparison on the listserv back in
December:

> Braunfeld might support Marty's argument. The government provides an option
> to all employers: (1) pay a tax, or (2) provide coverage. If (1) doesn't
> burden religion, and even if it's somewhat more expensive, Braunfeld seems to
> contemplate that laws will sometimes work in this way. Provided a law doesn't
> directly compel anyone to violate their religious beliefs, its imposition of
> additional costs on religious practice is not sufficient to show a
> substantial burden.
>
> Marty didn't cite Braunfeld in his post, so maybe he wouldn't rely on it. And
> maybe there are other problems with the analogy, but I wonder if the "no
> employer mandate" argument turns on an empirical claim, at least if the cost
> differentials are not so significant as to be tantamount to coercion -- as in
> the 4980D tax for failing to comply with coverage requirements.

Here's Justice Kagan (transcript p. 24):

> 15  JUSTICE KAGAN: Well, let's say that that's
> 16  right. Let's say that they have to increase the wages a
> 17  little bit. I mean, still we are talking about pretty
> 18  equivalent numbers. Maybe it's a little bit less; maybe
> 19  it's a little bit more. But this is not the kind of
> 20  thing that's going to drive a person out of business.
> 21  It's not prohibitive.
> 22  It's like the thing that we talked about in
> 23  Braunfeld where we said, you know, maybe if the store
> 24  can't stay open 7 days a week, it makes a little bit
> 25  less money. But so be it, is what we said.

If it works, I do think this argument raises factual questions that would have
to be addressed on remand.