I'm not sure that Marty and Nelson are disagreeing with Eric at the bottom
line.  Eric writes that "religious employers should be prepared to
demonstrate that they have applied behavioral standards evenhandedly.  For
example, the court in *Boyd* might well have upheld the pregnant teacher’s
sex and pregnancy discrimination if the school had not been able to show
that it had previously fired male and female employees for premarital sex,
even when no pregnancy resulted."

So here's my question for Eric or anyone else (and this is the question
that one can easily imagine being at the cutting edge): Under the Exec
Order, as now amended, may a religious organization that offers
family/spousal benefits to employees refuse to pay such benefits to an
employee with a same sex spouse (in a marriage recognized as lawful by the
relevant state), on the ground that the employer (on religious grounds)
does not recognize the validity of the marriage?  I say no, because there
is no "behavioral standard" that is being applied evenhandedly.  (If there
is, please explain what it would be, and how it would be applied and
enforced even-handedly -- that is, not based on sex or sexual orientation.)

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Nelson Tebbe <nelson.te...@brooklaw.edu>
wrote:

> I think Marty has the better argument here. The exemptions to the EO and
> Title VII allow certain religious organizations to favor co-religionists in
> hiring, but that exemption does not allow them to discriminate on
> prohibited grounds, even if they do so based on religious belief. *Boyd*
> is not to the contrary -- that case involved discrimination based on
> religiously-prohibited conduct, namely sexual activity outside marriage,
> not discrimination on the basis of sex. Similarly, *Little v. Wuerl*
> involved someone who was fired for a divorce and remarriage, not for being
> a woman (rather than a man) who divorced and remarried (outside the rules
> of the faith).
>
> Cases where the religious organization wanted to discriminate on
> prohibited grounds, even pursuant to a religious belief, have come out the
> other way. See, e.g., EEOC v. Fremont Christian Sch., 781 F.2d 1362,
> 1364-67 (9th Cir. 1986) (church owned school violated Title VII by
> providing health insurance to married men but not married women, even
> though such discrimination reflected a religious belief that only married
> men can be heads of households).
>
> Now that sexual orientation is a prohibited ground under the EO, a
> religious organization could not discriminate on the basis of sexual
> orientation even for religious reasons. Nor could it discriminate on the
> basis of activity that is correlated with sexual orientation, I would
> think. See  Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558, 575 (2003) (O'Connor, J.,
> concurring) ("“[T]he conduct targeted by this law is conduct that is
> closely correlated with being homosexual. Under such circumstances, [the]
> law is targeted at more than conduct. It is instead directed towards gay
> persons as a class.”); Elane Photography v. Willock,  309 P.3d 53, 61 (N.M.
> 2013). ("[t]o allow discrimination based on conduct so closely correlated
> with sexual orientation would severely undermine the purpose of [New
> Mexico’s antidiscrimination law]."). I admit there is room for argument in
> the cases on this point, though, and we can expect litigation on it.
>
> Nelson
>
> On Jul 23, 2014, at 4:48 PM, Kniffin, Eric N. <eknif...@lrrlaw.com> wrote:
>
> Marty is correct: Monday’s executive order leaves Section 204—the
> religious exemption Bush added in 2002—as is. The tweaks to the existing
> order are minor:  in the only four places where the phrase “sex or national
> origin” appears (three times in 202 and once in 203), that phrase is
> amended to read “sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national
> origin.” That’s it.
>
> However, I take issue with Marty’s statement that Title VII and the
> executive order do not “give the organization the right, even on religious
> grounds, to discriminate on the basis of sex, or race, or sexual
> orientation. . . .”  That’s not the law.  Marty’s linked text (p.32) cites
> [...]

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053
Co-author (with Professor Robert Tuttle) of "Secular Government, Religious
People" ( Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 2014))
My SSRN papers are here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=181272#reg