I haven't read all of the background materials, but it seems to me a little
bizarre to worry about what one could hide in a 1/4, 1/2 or even 3 inch
beard given what one could hide in a typical prison uniform.  If uniforms
are searched for contraband, why not beards?  Seems like it would be much
easier and safer than a uniform search, unless there is some religious ban
against someone touching one's beard.

And what about the value encouraging state to expend a little effort and
creativity in meeting believers half-way by putting the state to its burden
of proof on its interests?     In Hennepin County, the jail created an
inmate hijab for Muslim women that doesn't have any folds or places where
contraband can be hidden.   To use the argument example, why couldn't a
Sikh be issued a transparent turban designed to minimize the ability to
hide contraband?

Could Doug or someone could explain the state's argument in the lower court
that someone could drastically change his appearance by shaving his beard
as a reason for denial?  I presume that implies that he could escape.  I am
trying to imagine a case in which a guy walking around in prison with a
jumpsuit (or less) would be allowed to leave prison because he wasn't
recognized as prisoner X.  In the movies, at least the prisoners have to
steal a guard's uniform to get out:)

I also wonder what everybody thinks about Scalia's statement that religious
beliefs are "categorical," "it's [what] God tells you," implying that there
is no such thing as ethical "partial" compliance and that there has to be a
specific oral or written command from God for a RLIUPA claim to be viable?
   I guess I would have to be a complete pacifist, observe glatt kosher
(and no elevators on Shabbat) or go to church every Sunday before I could
object to the state's rules. Or does Scalia mistakenly assume that Islam is
more "categorical" than these other religions?

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Berg, Thomas C. <tcb...@stthomas.edu> wrote:

>  The oral argument transcript is up,
> http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/13-6827_8758.pdf.
> I haven't read it yet, but from the SCOTUS Blog report, it looks like
> things went poorly for the state.
> http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/10/argument-report-trouble-at-the-lectern/
>
> We've had little discussion of this case on the list.  I've presumed
> that's because there is a wide consensus that the case is easy.  SCOTUS
> Blog likewise concludes that "[t]he case, at least from the tenor of the
> oral argument, did not seem to be a difficult one."  But assuming that Holt
> wins, there remains the important question of the precise language the
> Court will use to explicate the compelling interest standard in the prison
> context, where officials get some deference.

> Thomas C. Berg
>
> James L. Oberstar Professor of Law and Public Policy
>
> University of St. Thomas School of Law
>
> MSL 400, 1000 LaSalle Avenue
>
> Minneapolis, MN   55403-2015
>
> Phone: 651 962 4918