From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Steven Jamar
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2015 1:11 PM
To: Law Religion & Law List
Subject: Re: Amazing what Hobby Lobby has wrought

I know there are those who think the Indiana RFRA only protects religious
adherents through an exemption or exception-based regime.

But that is not how everyone will understand it. Some will think of it as a
license to discriminate:

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/03/28/3640221/indiana-business-owner-admits-discriminating-lgbt-people/

We can't know how many people use subterfuge like this or who (erroneously)
think liberty is license to do whatever they want despite the common good as
decided through majoritarian actions.  This person should say out loud who he
is, what his restaurant is, where it is, and tell people the reason he is
discriminating against them and not use subterfuge.  To do less is to lose all
moral standing on the basis of some claim of liberty.

Steve

-
Prof. Steven D. Jamar
Assoc. Dir. of International Programs
Institute for Intellectual Property and Social Justice
http://iipsj.org
http://sdjlaw.org

"If you want to bake an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the
universe."
Carl Sagan