Although it may be awkward to put it this way, my point was not that of the
careful lawyer (though I think I can be one when need be :) ), but, rather,
appealing to the aspirations underlying the Act. If we were debating the
meaning of the 14th Amendment, most (though not all) of us would pay almost no
attention to the specific views of the Framers, beginning, of course, with
their carefully delineated differentiation of civil, political, and social
rights or the assumptions about the continuing validity of segregation, etc.
"Constitutive statutes" like the Civil Rights Act take on a similar life if
their own in shaping consciousness, even if there may be a specific exemption
for Mrs. Murphy and her boardinghouse. There is a reason that state civil
rights statutes are broader. The limitations of 1964 were raw compromises to
pick up votes. They scarcely rested on deep principles that were generally
accepted.

Sandy

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 1, 2015, at 8:47 PM, Richard Friedman