From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu <religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu>
on behalf of Marty Lederman <lederman.ma...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:30 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Gordon College v. Bob Jones Redux v. Conflicts Actually Likely to
Arise

OK, a religious school in 2017 wishes to exclude LGBT students -- or more
narrowly, those who are married -- even though few, if any, do so presently.

What is the legal question then?  Whether IRS currently has statutory authority
to pull its tax-exempt status?  Probably not since, after all, Congress has not
even yet made sexual-orientation discrimination in higher ed a grounds for
denial of federal funding.

I suppose the relevant question, therefore, is whether Congress should add
"sexual orientation" to Title IX, but not subject it to the 1681(a)(3)
exemption for religious organizations.

In which case, my tentative view is that Congress should probably treat sexual
orientation the same way it treats sex in higher ed--prohibiting the
discrimination, but with the (a)(3) religious exemption.  That is to say,
sexual orientation should be treated like sex--no better; no worse.

But again, I doubt this'll be an actual dispute.  And, more to the point, I
doubt the Court's decision in Obergefell will have any legal bearing on it.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Alan E Brownstein