I confess I'm ignorant. I assumed that the Church modified the practice. I'll
look into it.

Sandy

Sent from my iPhone

On May 1, 2015, at 11:21 AM, Doug Laycock
<dlayc...@virginia.edu<mailto:dlayc...@virginia.edu>> wrote:

Offlist:  Has it done away with selling them? If so, you might want to clarify.

Douglas Laycock
Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law
University of Virginia Law School
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA  22903
     434-243-8546

From:
religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu<mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu>
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Rick Garnett
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2015 12:14 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Religious organizations, tax-exempt status and same-sex marriage

Dear Michael,

This does not contradict your point but, as it happens, and for what it's
worth, the Catholic Church has not done away with indulgences.  See, e.g.:

http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-francis-grants-indulgences-for-world-youth-da

That said, there was recently some confusion over the question whether Pope
Francis had *really* told people that following him on Twitter was a way to
obtain them:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2013/07/18/no-the-pope-isnt-tweeting-indulgences-to-his-followers/

=-)

All the best,

Rick

Richard W. Garnett

Professor of Law and Concurrent Professor of Political Science

Director, Program on Church, State & Society

Notre Dame Law School

P.O. Box 780

Notre Dame, Indiana 46556-0780

574-631-6981 (w)

574-276-2252 (cell)

rgarn...@nd.edu<mailto:rgarn...@nd.edu>

To download my scholarly papers, please visit my SSRN
page<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=342235>

Blogs:

Prawfsblawg<http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/>

Mirror of Justice<http://mirrorofjustice.blogs.com/>

Twitter:  @RickGarnett<https://twitter.com/RickGarnett>

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Michael Worley