1.  I think the substantial burden question turns on whether an
objector sincerely believes that what she is ordered to is against her
religion.  If she sincerely believes that distributing licenses with her name
is, in God’s eyes, putting her name to an authorization of sinful conduct and
therefore against God’s will, that’s what matters for substantial burden
purposes – not that this doesn’t count as “authorization” for purposes of
secular law or secular reason.

               2.  Davis’s stay petition, filed in the Supreme Court, says,
among other things, “In this matter, even if the ‘desired goal’ is providing
Plaintiffs with Kentucky marriage licenses in Rowan County, numerous less
restrictive means are available to accomplish it without substantially
burdening Davis’ religious freedom and conscience, such as ... Modifying the
prescribed Kentucky marriage license form to remove the multiple references to
Davis’ name, and thus to remove the personal nature of the authorization that
Davis must provide on the current form.”
http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Kentucky-marriage-15A250-application.pdf
 (PDF pp. 39-40).  To be sure, we might not view the presence of her name as
“personal nature of the authorization,” or the removal of her name as at all
morally or religiously significant under our understanding of a rational theory
of complicity in sin.  But of course religious exemption rules apply even to
people who don’t operate in ways that we think are rational or sensible.

               3.  It seems to me that the Kentucky Legislature has already
potentially authorized religious exemptions from the statute that requires that
marriage certificates and licenses bear the clerk’s name – as well as from
virtually all other Kentucky statute.  It did so by enacting the Kentucky RFRA.
 The very point of a RFRA (right or wrong) is that religious objectors
shouldn’t have to wait for the Legislature to expressly amend statutes to
include religious exemptions; instead, they could go to court to ask for an
exemption, and the court could grant such an exemption if it concludes that the
law substantially burdens religious practice and denying the exemption isn’t
the least restrictive means of serving a compelling government interest.  (The
legislature could of course then overrule the court decision, if it thinks the
court got the strict scrutiny or substantial burden analysis wrong, by
expressly exempting the statute from the RFRA.)

               A simple analogy:  Say someone objects to having a photograph of
her face on a driver’s license, whether because she thinks that’s an
impermissible graven image, or because she thinks she must always appear veiled
in front of men who aren’t family members.  A court applying a RFRA might be
able to reject the exemption request on strict scrutiny grounds related to the
need for visual identification as a means of protecting public safety.  (Back
in the Sherbert/Yoder era, courts considering this question were split, and the
Court split 4-4 on it in Jensen v. Quaring.)  But if a court concludes that not
having a photo wouldn’t materially undermine public safety, and thus that
strict scrutiny isn’t satisfied, it wouldn’t have to wait for the legislature
to amend the statute that requires photographs on driver’s licenses: the state
RFRA would itself authorize the court to require that the license be issued
without the photograph, as a less restrictive means of serving the broader
interest in making sure that drivers have at least some sort of license.
Again, state RFRA has potentially authorized religious exemptions from the
driver’s license photo requirement just as it has potentially authorized
religious exemptions from peyote bans, the duty to serve as a juror, and so on.
 Likewise for the requirement that marriage licenses and certificates contain
the county clerk’s name.

               Eugene