I just took a quick look at the briefs and decision below.  Unless I missed
something, it appears that neither Missouri nor amici ACLU and Americans
United argued that the funding would violate the federal Establishment
Clause.  This led the court of appeals to write:  "We . . . recognize that
the Supreme Court’s Establishment Clause jurisprudence has evolved rather
dramatically in the forty years since Luetkemeyer was decided. For example, *it
now seems rather clear that Missouri could include the Learning Center’s
playground in a non-discriminatory Scrap Tire grant program **without
violating the Establishment Clause*."  [No explanation of why that is
"rather clear."  In fact, insofar as governing doctrine is concerned, it's
at best a close question under the EC.]

Given that Missouri appears committed to arguing for Locke v. Davey-like
"play in the joints," it's unlikely the state will argue, in the Supreme
Court, that funding would violate the EC.  And without the state making
that argument, the Court will almost certainly not raise the matter
itself, *even
though under governing doctrine there's a very strong argument that the
funding would be unconstitutional*.  In which case we'll have what's
arguably a major doctrinal change without the issue even being joined.

I don't want to overstate the importance of this:  Even if the issue were
fully briefed, there are almost certainly five or more Justices who would
reject the notion that funding here would violate the EC.  Still, it would
be rather remarkable if the Court were to hold, for the first time in
history(?), that the state can make direct grants to churches, in a case
where no party has even argued to the contrary.