How I am ignoring the other statements?  CLS v. Martinez is
internally quite consistent; it reasons:

               1.  The registered student organization program is a limited
public forum, because it provides a form of subsidy to the groups who
participate in the program.

               2.  In such a limited public forum, the government may impose
reasonable, viewpoint-neutral restrictions, but not viewpoint-based ones.

               3.  The requirement that student groups take all comers is a
viewpoint-neutral – indeed a content-neutral restrictions.

               4.  Indeed, the program leaves student groups free to “express
any viewpoint they wish – including a discriminatory one,” which protects “the
freedom to express ‘the thought that we hate.’”

               If CLS is viewed as applicable here – if trademark law is viewed
as a limited-public-forum-like subsidy – then it would follow that the
exclusion of “disparaging” marks, if it’s seen as viewpoint-based (and I think
it should be), is unconstitutional.

               Now of course some may say that CLS shouldn’t apply.  The In re
Tam en banc majority concludes that the trademark system shouldn’t be viewed as
a limited public forum, but that the disparaging mark exclusion should be
viewed as more akin to a direct regulation of speech, and that strict scrutiny
should apply instead.  Others conclude that the trademark system shouldn’t be
viewed as a limited public forum, but that the government should be entitled to
choose which trademarks it will support, even in a viewpoint-based way.  But if
CLS applies, then it bars viewpoint-discriminatory conditions on trademark
registration, rather than empowering to freely decide which speech to “subvent.”

               Eugene