I believe Mr. Whelan and others have far less problems with Prof. Laycock's
assertions about the first part of his brief (disputing the "exception for
one must mean an exception for all" approach) then his assertions regarding
that there is no substantial burden in this case.

So the real question is, If we assume the mandate works as petitioners
allege, is there a substantial burden?  If I'm reading Prof. Laycock
correctly, he answers "yes," but doubts the premise of that question.
Thus, Prof. Laycock's brief-- including the parts criticizing petitioners'
litigation strategy-- could have been filed on either side depending on if
he accepts petitioners factual assertions about how the mandate works.
That is the point of Mr. Whelan's piece.

Michael Worley
J.D., Brigham Young University