From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Ira Lupu
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 5:21 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: Noteworthy, puzzling scholars' brief in Arlene Flowers

Responding to Eugene's question -- I don't have anything like a theory of how
compelled speech arguments should work in the anti-discrimination context.  The
most I have said in print is in a footnote to a recent article (7 Ala. Civ.
Rts. Civ. Lib. Rev. 1, 52, n. 171).  My intuition is that those in commerce who
make themselves generally available for all customers, and whose work tends to
track customer preferences (e.g., the DJ who plays the songs the hosts like
best; the photographer who takes the standard shots of marrying couple, guests,
family, etc.) would have a very weak compelled speech claim.  Those who are
creating different products with their own independent content (e.g., a
motivational speech, even if tailored to a group) might well have a better
claim, though I wonder whether those people make themselves "generally
available."

In any event, I make no sweeping assertion about how this line of argument
should be resolved across the universe of cases.  When Mitch Berman asked about
"solicitude" for Fred, I took him to be asking whether Fred's religious
opposition to inter-religious marriage was more deserving of respect than a
commercial photographer's religious opposition to same sex marriage.  I have no
idea how to parse such distinctions among religious objections to various types
of marriage, and I agree that courts should not try to evaluate the respect
that one deserves compares to the other (nor label some of them as prejudice
and others as properly religion-based).