My class discussed this problem of government funding of parochial schools
yesterday.   Most retreated to the simplistic model of “don’t take the money if
you don’t want the conditions,”  which isn’t very reflective about the deeper
and longer-term issues involved in financial interdependence between religion
and the state.   They had great difficulty thinking through how far the
government might, legally can and ethically should go in imposing majoritarian
values on religious schools.

It does not seem that my students realize that, in an era of declining
voluntary support for some religious institutions, some of them  truly hurting
for money (especially to compete with the more lavishly appointed suburban
public schools) may be tempted to take the money and either ignore the
conditions or ignore the effect that complying with the conditions will have
eventually on their community values.  Of course, these same temptations can
also be presented by a tuition-financed religious school that finds itself
catering to the consumerist mentality of parents who are paying significant
tuition to send their children to religious schools and therefore expect them
to compete with public schools in amenities, ethos and programs.

Partly, I think, this is partly due to the fact that the virtue and habit of
benevolence and shared community sacrifice has not been passed down very well
to the non-gray-haired members of Christian congregations in some
denominations.    As just one example, in my church body, which is more
mainstream, many (perhaps most) church schools have gone from being largely
supported through congregational giving (in which all of the people in the
congregation essentially took care of the children of the church school) to
tuition to be paid by the parents, with perhaps some limited scholarships for
low-income people and perhaps meager support from the congregation.      This
is not only true in the struggling congregations but in the wealthy
congregations, where such support should be easily available.

Perhaps the justices who asked these questions are responding to this “reality
on the ground” more than trying to stake out a different ideological approach.
 However, I really wonder some days if the “voluntary principle” will work for
the future in this much altered climate of expectations about religious
benevolence, if our church body’s experience is representative.

Marie A. Failinger  |  Professor of Law
651-695-7658 |  Fax: 651-290-6414
marie.failin...@mitchellhamline.edu<mailto:marie.failin...@mitchellhamline.edu>

Mitchell Hamline School of Law
875 Summit Ave. | St. Paul, MN 55105
Great in theory. Even better in practice.