I'm not sure I see the conflict between Alden and Howlett v. Rose.  If I
understand Alden, states retain sovereign immunity in their own courts
unless waived because ratification of the constitution did not empower
Congress to override it; Congress did not acquire that power until
ratification of the Civil War amendments.  Alden thus makes explicit what
Seminole Tribe left implicit -- the Eleventh Amendment was a response to
the consitutional heresy of Chisholm, and restored the constitutional
order to the original intent of the framers. (I am no more persuaded of
the soundness of that reasoning than was Justice Brennan or Justice
Souter, but that does seem to be the current Court's dogma on the Eleventh
Amendment).

Howlett held that a school board, a unit of local government and a person
within the meaning of section 1983, could not rely on a state created
sovereign immunity for school boards when sued in state court.  Because
the school board was not the state, but was a unit of local government,
the retained sovereign immunity of the state was not at issue, and
therefore neither was the constitutional power of Congress to provide for
the liability of school boards in suits under section 1983.  Neither the
Eleventh Amendment nor the constitutional understanding pre Chisholm
called into question the power of congress to subject units of local
government to suit under federal law; therefore, states that hear section
1983 claims are obliged under the Supremacy Clause to adjudicate them
under federal law, applying only those defenses authorized by section
1983.  Because states cannot create a defense to liability under federal
laws generally, it follows that the school board could not assert a so
called but misnamed for purposes of constitutional analysis sovereign
immunity.

Note -- I share Marty's skepticism regarding the assertedly
nondiscriminatory character of Maine's waiver of sovereign immunity.  I
just don't see how that comes into play in Howlett since there is no
retained sovereign immunity for units of local government that the state
must waive.

Michael R. Masinter                     3305 College Avenue
Nova Southeastern University            Fort Lauderdale, Fl. 33314
Shepard Broad Law Center                (954) 262-6151
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                       Chair, ACLU of Florida Legal Panel