Hello all,

I have a tower site in southern Montana with no power. I am
considering the installation of a single UHF repeater run on solar
power at the site next summer. As such, I need the least amount of
current drain on the receive radio as possible. I intend to run an ARR
GaAsFET (20ma), and a small repeater maker/controller (also 20 ma).
Many decades ago, I used a GE Mastr Pro receiver with the audio amp
disabled and was able to get about 20-30Ma current draw. However, as
Mitreks are now a dime a dozen, I am contemplating the use of one of
those as the receiver, and maybe a second one as the transmitter. My
question is, has anyone experimented with a UHF Mitrek in getting
current draw down as low as possible? Can disconnecting audio amps,
etc., help lower the drain? Additionally, if anyone has experimented
with one as a transmit only radio, have you been successful in getting
the thing to draw 0 until TX is required by disabling the receiver,
etc.?

Thanks,

Tom