Ian,

Since I don't have a network analyzer or a tracking generator, I have
consistently used the S meter method to tune my cavities for both the transmit
and
receive side.

It is not recommended to tune duplexers with power applied, because you wind
up getting little arcs that leave black carbon spots on the metal contact
areas. BUT with all things said, I find I can always get a few more watts out
of
the transmit side by tuning with power applied for max RF out. My gut feeling
is that things change a little under the influence of the high RF levels.

Art - KC7GF