Adding a preamp to some repeater systems does not always make it "hear"
better; sometimes the receiver becomes more sensitive to overload,
intermod, desense, and has a higher noise level.  You can mitigate some
of these problems by placing a bandpass cavity immediately in front of
the preamp.

Most bandpass/bandreject duplexers have surprisingly little bandpass
effect, and will pass an awful lot of signal on either side of the
receive frequency.  A dedicated bandpass cavity will act as a
preselector to greatly limit the signal seen by the preamp, and that
will significantly reduce the noise floor.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY