I strongly recommend that you proceed very cautiously along this path.
Amateur-grade radios seldom have the quality, stability, and robust
design needed in a repeater.  The CTCSS tone encode deviation is
frequently far too high, and is almost never adjustable.  Every
dual-band rig I have seen needed to be adjusted to bring the center
frequency and deviation within the manufacturer's own specs, and some
were very prone to drift.  The ICOM IC-207H is a prime example of such a
radio.  Very few dual-band ham rigs with cross-band repeat capability
have the proper filtering to keep the CTCSS tones out of the repeated
audio.  I would go with two back-to-back commercial radios and a RICK
between them if I were interested in cross-band repeat capability.

As I understand the FCC Rules, a cross-band radio (such as the Alinco
DR-605T) should be used as a remote base by the owner only.  To be legal
as an open repeater, it must have a station identifier.

Ideally, the radiation center of the antenna should be above any nearby
obstructions.  An omnidirectional antenna with modest gain (4 to 7 dBd)
on the roof of the highest building will likely be a good performer.  If
your antenna location is not centered in the desired coverage area,
consider a directional-pattern antenna such as a corner reflector, a
low-gain Yagi, or an offset dipole.

I suggest you consider a Motorola R1225 repeater, instead.  The R1225 is
available in 10 watt and 50 watt versions, is available in both VHF and
UHF versions, includes station ID-er, hang timer, courtesy beep, timeout
timer, TPL and DPL encode/decode, and is completely programmable.  Even
with the required HVN9054 software, it costs less than a roughly
equivalent Hamtronics repeater, and is a far, far better radio.  I have
two R1225 repeaters in commercial service, and one in Amateur service on
2m.  One of the former is a solar-powered UHF repeater that has been
operating 24/7 on a mountain ridge for more than a year, without a
problem.

The R1225 is an economy low-tier repeater, but it has great value for
the money.  I have no financial interest in Motorola, I am simply a
longtime user of their equipment and a very satisfied customer!

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

Rizky_p wrote:

> Hi, i am thinking of building repeater for cheap.
>
> Can a mobile radio with cross band repeating capability and with 50W of Tx
> power be used instead of using dedicated repeater controller? I am thinking
> of Yaesu FT8800R. How high should the tower be?  I want the coverage at least
> 20-30 miles.  The area here is perfectly flat with most building as high as
> 24 feet.  (densely populated area mostly houses)  Any advice?

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: