Hi John,

It appears the most tender nerve is behind
the bulls horns. No one has ever called
you or others out to be "dumb techs", nor
implied such in posts that I've read here.

I and others have had many bad experiences
with other brands of commercial and amateur
equipment. "I get the impression that "most
of us" didn't care to honestly help Kevin
out.

If someone has a specific problem with
X-brand, it can be dealt with in a number
of practical methods. The internet is a gold
mine of technical resources. One might have
to sort through the cannon fodder to get
the desired information.

Instead of technician/engineer chest
pounding, I'm offering to help Kevin with
his Spectrum Equipment off the list and am
already talking to him about it now.

Depending on what unit he has, what appears
to be a repairable problem should not result
in his scrapping some very usable equipment.

Since Kevin appears to have more time than
money, we'll try to go with fixing what he
already has. I'm just thankfull it's not
another VHF Engineering receiver section.

cheers

skipp

skipp025 at yahoo.com

> , JOHN MACKEY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Skipp -  Sure you occasionally have someone
> who has had good luck with Spectrum equipment.
> But the VAST MAJORITY of us have had BAD experiences
> with the equipment.  BTW - we're not all dumb techs!!
> Many of us have several years experience
> in amateur radio, or make our living professionally
> in the technical side of radio (or both).
>
> Myself, I've been a ham for over 20 years, have worked
> in the two-way radio field, have done communications tech
> work in the military (& still do as a reservist), and
> currently am the Chief Engineer in an FM broadcast station.
>

> "skipp025" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > It's very disappointing to me reading most
> > of the replies to Kevin's request for help
> > repairing his Spectrum Repeater.  Most of
> > you would rather fire off wise cracks about
> > Spectrum equipment than help him out.
> >
> > While Spectrum seems to be very corneous
> > rectum about customer service, their products
> > do work for the most part, when properly set
> > up and cared for. It's not rocket science to
> > research and improve even the most basic
> > circuits.
> >
> > Most of you appear to have never seen a VHF
> > Engineering Receiver, early repeater boards
> > from 60's and 70's. This would include the
> > famous Clegg 220 repeater made from a split
> > radio. Early repeater layouts are where many
> > of us "cut our teeth" and learned how to make
> > these less than perfect circuits perform as
> > best possible.
> >
> > I've got quite a bit of Spectrum equipment;
> > their more recent receivers are pretty nice.
> > Their transmitters are a mixed bag, but every
> > one I have seems to work as expected for what
> > each circuit is.
> >
> > So Kevin, first off… I probably have the manual
> > for the unit you have, would be willing to
> > work with you off the list to keep the "know
> > it all's" from laughing too hard. The temperature
> > problem you report is not that uncommon from
> > the type of layout installed in your unit, not
> > specific to the Spectrum Brand. The early 90's
> > unit I have similar to yours has never moved
> > more than 300 Hz since I bought it.
> >
> > There's probably no reason your unit can't be
> > made to operate well.

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: