Thanks for everyone's responses. I swapped out the regulator with one
from a spare radio and the problem went away. I could not see any
physical problem/damage to the one I removed, but the one I replaced it
with seems to work fine. My guess is the lead was broken inside the
to-220 case somewhere.

--
Terry
KE4PJW