Byron,

You did not state if omnidirectional coverage was required; if not, you
might consider a heavy-duty Yagi or corner reflector tilted down toward
the desired coverage area.  Another option is a Sinclair SRL-222 dual
dipole antenna set for elliptical pattern.  I have one of these in
hilltop service on 2m, and the close-in valley coverage is far superior
to that obtained with a vertical fiberglass antenna.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY