Ken,

Assuming that the suspect cavity is not damaged or dented, the only
cause I can think of for the symptom you describe is a poor contact at
the grounded (adjustment) end of the loop.  A lot of crud, not to
mention spiders, can enter the cavity through the open slots.  I'm
pretty certain that a good cleaning and burnishing of the contact
surfaces will cure the problem.  Just remove the four screws on the
connector and the adjustment knob of the loop and lift out the loop
assembly.   A coarse typewriter eraser (remember them?) is ideal for
cleaning such surfaces without scratching the plating.  A Gold Guard pen
is another tool worth using.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY