Brian,

I just checked my UHF Micor manual, and it shows that TLN4926A Power
Control Board is used in both the 2/12 W and the 75 W stations.  That
suggests that all of the scaling is done in the antenna network, which
is different for the various power levels.  You should be able to use
any PA you want, because the appropriate power control functions are
integral.

In the specific instance of converting a 2W amp into a 12W amp by
removing the power attenuator, you need to add the resistor and the
thermistor in order to properly protect and control the PA.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY