I wondered if this group has any opinions on the need for ice breakers or ice shields. Currently our DB224E's are at 1340 Ft and mounted about 6" off the leg of the 1400 ft tower. We have not had any problems from falling ice at this level over the past 10 years.

We have been asked to move down to 1240 ft to make way for DTV antennas and one of our antenna's will be lower at 1100 ft. One of the club members suggested that going to the lower height significantly increases the risk of damage from falling ice even with the very close spacing to the tower leg which we plan to continue with at the new height.

Question is should we try to obtain some ice breakers and install them above the antennas to protect from falling ice?

John Lock KF0M
Wichita KS
 kf0m at arrl dot net