> "Tim S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Pretty sure I know the answer to this.
> But can a transmitter keying into a
> duplexer that's detuned cause intermod
> interference?

It sure can.  A local area repeater in Michigan on 146.64/04 was causing
interference, and was being heard, on a 146.68/08 repeater about 60 miles
away.

Someone, un-authorized, had made adjustments to the duplexer (Tx out into
duplexer 40 W, power out of duplexer 3 Watt).  The picture on the spectrum
analyzer looked like a Christmas tree as the PA was going into all kinds of
spurious oscillations.  After retuning with proper equipment (vector network
analyzer) all interference stopped and the TX was clean again.

An isolator will do the trick to protect the PA and reduce the chance of
spurious oscillation and inter-modulation but it will not cure the problem.
Retune the duplexer ASAP with proper equipment.

73, Tony VE3DWI

---