Eric Lemmon wrote:

> Hold on... it's the FAA who will decide what needs to be painted and/or
> lighted, not the tower owner!
>
> Once the exact coordinates on the NAD83 datum, and the height of the
> tower in meters, have been determined to the accuracy required by the
> FAA, a request for an "Aeronautical Study" is filed with the FAA.  The
> FAA will investigate the hazard to air navigation, if any, and will
> issue an order to the tower owner as to what lighting and/or painting-
> if any- is required.
>
> Don't forget that towers or buildings used to support antenna structures
> may need to be registered with the FCC as "Antenna Structures."
> Regardless of the height of the tower, it may need to be registered with
> the FCC if the FAA determines that it is or may be a hazard to air
> navigation.
>
> I went through this whole process for a 404-foot tower on a military
> base, simply because my Amateur Radio Club falls under the FCC- but the
> military normally is beholden only to IRAC and NTIA.
>
> Judging by the multi-million-dollar fines being levied on cellular and
> broadcast companies who ignore tower lighting and painting rules, this
> is not an area where anyone should "assume" anything.  Let the FAA tell
> you in writing what is required, send a copy to the FCC, and follow the
> FAA's instructions.
>
> 73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY
>
> Maire Company wrote:
> >
> > just remember anything over 200' to the tip you need to light and /or paint.

On my brother's 475 footer we have an over kill on the lighting. All are
reduntant. The painting was wavered in our case cause of the tower material
could
not be painted.

Ya otta see the tower fully lighted up at night. At each 100' deck level are
several halgen lights lighting  the deck.

At each 50' and 100' are stable reds on with flash strobes for day use. The top
has tripple redundant reds and flashers. After three years or so we should be
seeing profit.

Ed