I like to tune the duplexer with service monitor for best peak and notch
like you did then hook up repeater and check reflected power at transmitter
output as you did and compare foreward and reflected readings with duplexer
inline and out of line. If reflected power is more with duplexer inline
then most likely there is an impedance mismatch between the duplexer input
and the transmitter output. If the difference in reflected power is small
with duplexer in/out, I just tweak the first pass adjustment (tx off) for
minimum reflected and usually can get a good match equal to reading with
duplexer out of line. If the difference is great like you described then i
try a different jumper a little shorter or longer. Wacom had a procedure
for finding the right length jumper it was to add right angle conectors or
jumpers increasing in length an inch at a time (two inches at a time on two
meters) until you have added 1/2 wave total and the lowest reflected
reading was obtained then make a  new jumper with the new optimized length.
I did this on my two meter repeater and it does work. Problem is when you
take out your meter things change a little even if you cut the jumper
allowing for length of the meter but should be close enough to work
properly.

You could have had a bad cable or it may just cut to a length that made the
transmitter mad.

If your tx output and duplexer input were 50 ohms then any length 50 ohm
cable would work. But in the real world if your service monitor  is not
exactly 50 ohm and transmitter output and duplexer input is not  exactly
50 ohm Changing length of the jumper will
improve preformance as you described because your jumper is acting like a
transformer.

Feel free to add to this or correct me if I am wrong.

tom n8ies

(I