Richard,

The DB224 has only two standard patterns:  omnidirectional and offset.
My club has one of these antennas at a packet node, and it is ideal for
this application.  I should think that your DB224 would work perfectly
in omni configuration, if it were located in the center of the coverage
area.  I'd contact the Decibel Products engineering staff for guidance,
before modifying your antenna.

If you feel it absolutely necessary to have an elliptical coverage
pattern, one solution is to use two Yagi or corner reflector antennas
back-to-back ON THE SAME MAST and fed with a phasing harness.  If you
separate the apexes by putting them on opposite sides of a tower (for
example) you may experience destructive pattern distortion.  However,
although this is a viable solution on paper, like many things in life it
often does not perform as expected and can become a black hole for money
and effort!

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY