Hi Ian,
    What CTCSS freq are you using by the way, (I hope not 100 Hz?)  I'd can
the Back to back Rx CTCSS and that would speed up the link no end.
    What's the linking paths like between your main repeater and your two
remote sites?
    Your decode times are indeed excessive, also I wonder what breed is your
mobile gear (Tait?) Icom for instance is VERY slow to decode CTCSS.
    What facilities do you have for test and measurement?  Do you have a
service monitor or at least a deviation meter and signal gen that can
generate CTCSS frequency?
    How have you wired your back to back T2010's (Will they pass CTCSS
witithout regeneration?)
    Also what PSU are you running? If there is mains hum (Hence reason NOT
to use 100 Hz subtone) this will bugger you up no end.
    Just a few questions as starters and we can go from there :-)

Cheers;
 Gareth Bennett
Comme Engineer
Electrix Ltd