On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 11:51:25PM -0000, skipp025 wrote:

Skipp,

I'm working on a news report regarding EPLRS for one of the ham news
outlets to pick up - and I'll post the script text and mailing list
information here shortly.  Probably send it off to Newsline in the next
day or two, and see if Bill and gang want to carry it.

It's been causing quite a large amount of interference here in Denver
for about 3 years, and once we started noticing reports of problems
coming in from other areas, we started looking into how widespread the
problem might be.

Generally, it's big.  And the particular EPLRS systems we've been
struggling with here covers the entire range of 430-450 MHz.  (Confirmed
by the Denver FCC Field Office.)

The "fix" will be complex.  The band is primary for the military for
certain uses ("radiolocation"), but then if you dig further, later rules
from NTIA very strongly specify that the hams be protected as if we were
primary.

If your UHF repeater is RF line-of-sight to a military facility (there
are allegedly 28 states either affected or soon to be affected, many of
those with multiple installations) and you hear a very regular
"ignition" type noise on weak signal users of your repeater, there's a
very good chance it's EPLRS.

I'll post more info, hopefully within a day or two.

--
Nate Duehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - WY0X