Kevin thank you for the fine explanation.  Digging deeper into my
junque box, I have come up with a Phelps-Dodge duplexer which was on a
low power in-house repeater on 464 mc.  This one is designed for TX
low/RX high, and is the one that will be used for this project.  I am
tuning and evaluating it now.  In the name of education, I will be
comparing these two units as measured on the bench and noting the
differences between them for future reference.

Thanks again
Laryn K8TVZ

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Custer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Laryn Lohman wrote:
>
> >Tuning a TFE6030 duplexer.  I am aware that the high/low arrangement
> >of frequencies should normally remain the same.  However this unit has
> >three cavities (helicals?) on what was the TX (higher I believe) side,
> >and only one cavity on the RX (lower) side.  For the ham band the TX
> >will be the lower frequency.  What is the recommendation in this case?
> >

> Not to use it on a repeater where the transmitter is the lower
> frequency.  Why?  Read your question below first, then read on.
>
> >Also, those three cavities have an additional adjustment on the
coax end of each.  What is this for?

> To notch out transmitter side-band noise.  (undesired energy in which
> appears directly on the receiver frequency)
>
> You see, it generally much more important (or more of a requirement) to
> eliminate transmitter side-band noise *on* the receiver frequency than
> it is to eliminate transmitter carrier power from getting into the
> receiver.  This is the reason why there are more sections of filtering
> on the transmitter side of this duplexer.
>
> Let's go into some math and theory.  While this text represents a 2
> meter duplexer scenario, the basic theory is the same for any band.
>
> A duplexer must attenuate the transmitter carrier, this prevents
> receiver overloading, which in turn would reduce receiver
sensitivity. A