Ok, brings up a good question, I fed the 12 volts section with the 10 volts supply, would this drop of 2 volts cause a major drop in the audio out section?

Mathew

Matt, no it is not worth the trouble. Just feed only the 10 volt section. That will disable the audio. The 12 volts is only used for audio out. Dave

Dave Baughn
Director of Engineering
The University of Alabama
Center for Public Television and Radio
Box 870150
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487
205.348.8622 cell 205-310-8798
NEW EMAIL [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/23/04 01:13PM >>>
Ok found all of that, this is the E version.  I checked the voltage on the transitor, its about 1/2 of what it should be.  I just wonder if this low audio will hamper the use of it any in the repeater situation.  The sensitivity of the receiver is excellent, at .17 Uv at 12 DB.  I am using the discriminator audio portion of it.  What do you think.  Is it worth the trouble to repair it, since I will never need to use the audio output of the receiver.

Mathew

Matt, it is likely the audio output transistor. ER41 comes in two versions. One has about 2 watts of audio from one transistor. The other has two transistors and about 10 watts out. In both cases the transistors are mounted underneath the receiver on a tab on the heatsink. If yours has tone, you will have to loosen the tone board to see the transistor(s). I have seen the one transistor version fail where it will still have some audio. The two transistor version sometimes has a small resistor in the bias circuit that changes value. In this case, the audio will usually also be quite distorted. I think it is 240 ohms or so. I don't have the diagram here now. Seems like the metering socket has a pin to check the bias on the output transistor. If it cannot be adjusted into specs, the transistor or the resistor are the most likely suspects from my experience, although I have seen other problems.

nd where to look.  I
have not done any trouble shooting at this point, but thought by
chance if is was a common problem someone could point me in the
right direction.  Thanks.

Mathew