On one of the systems that I take care of, we fought interference from a
paging transmitter for about 12 months before making the choice to go to PL
access full time. In our case, the signal was weak enough that a mobile on
the fringe of our coverage area could cover it, but strong enough to hit
the receiver and bring the repeater up. We tried different receivers,
additional cavities, etc. until the only alternative was to take the system
down or go PL. In some (perhaps most) situations, despite expending a great
deal of time, energy, and expense, the only workable solution to solve an
interference issue is to go to tone access.

Incidentally,a properly implemented PL tone decoder will detect subaudible
tone before the squelch circuit in your receiver will unsquelch. This
should have the effect of slightly increasing your talk-in range compared
to a non-pl repeater. 73,

Kevin, K9HX