Kevin,

I have had good luck finding goodies at Fleeman, Anderson & Bird http://www.fab-corp.com

mike
-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Custer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 9:21 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] 802.11b wireless

All,

A bunch of us were thinking about setting up a Ham
radio only network here near Kitchener. Can you give
any details on the "reprogramming" of the hardware?

<---I'm curious about this myself. I'm installing a Linux machine at my
site soon and this would be good knowledge to have.

Hopefully, Kevin's suggestion is Linux usable as well.

The T1 is located at the "Fred Baer" tower site shown as a little red flag in the image:
http://www.shol.com/wireless/pix/wireless1path.jpg

The T1 is transferred from the Fred Baer tower to the "Highland" location (Highland Farm) with 5.8 GHz Trango stuff.  This path is LOS and has no freznel zone infractions.  At Highland Farm, we recover the "T" with another Trango unit.  It is etherneted to a Linux box which uses "StarOS" server software and wireless PCI card interfaces that allow us to use differing types of wireless cards.  This Access Point is built on a common desktop frame and has UPS power backup, and sits in the rafters of my friends farm.
<http://www.star-os.com/>

We use the cards with antenna ports that can be cabled to antenna systems easily as opposed to the older Orinoco (silver/gold) cards that had the antenna built in.  The cards we have had the best luck with are the "High Power" (200 mW) types like the Prism 2.5:
<http://www.demarctech.com/products/reliawave-rwz/reliawave-rwz-200mw-prism2-5-pcmcia-card.html>

For my port, I use an Orinoco 64 mW card that goes to a bi-directional amplifier.  The amp produces about 1 watt at 2.4 gigs with 64 mW input power, and adds some sensitivity to the receive side.  I don't remember the make or manufacturer right now, but I'm sure one could do a google search and come up with similar solutions.  The amp feeds a run of LMR-400 to the Grid:
<http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/antennas_2400_out_directional.php>

Up to this point, everything is done with a bit more reliability in mind than might be necessary for the common amateur, as this equipment is also a backbone for a wireless internet infrastructure for the local computer store/internet provider (with the exception of the stuff used for my port).

At my end, there is another 24 dBi grid that feeds a Linksys "Wet-11".  The Wet 11 is souped up with yet another card replacement that exceeds stock wireless regulations.  The Wet feeds a Linksys wireless router/hub that serves as an access point, which is located about 1/4 mile away on my brothers property as it has a better look to Highland Farm.  On my tower at my house is yet another Wet-11 that is modified for "power over ethernet".  The ethernet cable is about 150 feet long and carries the power for the Wet, and the internet signaling.

I must tell you that I'm not happy with the Linksys Router/Hub I'm using for an access point.  It has thermal problems and is actually off line right now because of it.  I hope to have a single board (computer) solution built up and running soon to replace it, as it's now the weakest link.

Hope this helps...
Kevin Custer