From: Steve Strobel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 8:04 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Repeater Controllers

At 01:41 PM 12/27/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>Richard wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure why it would take you "hours" to load and download the
info -
> > what do you mean by that? I program several RLC4s and an RLC3 and yes,
> there
> > is a learning curve, but if you sit down for an hour or so with the
manual
> > it isn't really all that bad.
> >
> > The files I use to program the controllers contain anywhere from 10-30
> > macros, plus all the timers, IDs, command prefix, and the other stuff I
put
> > in it, and it only takes three or four minutes to transfer it to the
> > controller.
>
>Pulling the programming out of the RLC-3 using the RS-232 port takes
>several hours because of the slow baud rate used.
>Only 10-30 macros? One guy printed out the programming he downloaded
>from our clubs RLC-3-it made a stack of paper 2-3 inches thick!

What hasn't been said in this thread is that there is rarely, if ever, a
need to download all of that information.  The RLC-3 has literally
thousands of settings (making it extremely flexible, which is necessary for
a controller that can run eight repeaters independently at the same
time).  Those settings default to reasonable values, so you need only to
program an ID to get on the air.  The recommended way of setting it up is
to send only the CHANGES to the defaults, which takes only a few
minutes.  As long as you keep a file on your computer with a record of
those changes, there is no reason to download all of the settings from the
controller.  The download feature of the QuickStart software was added to
help those that had already programmed the controller via DTMF or inherited
a controller but no record of the programming and wanted to recover a copy
of the controller's settings.

Steve

---
Steve Strobel