Look on the Kevin's Web site under Astron power supplies for info on
how to use an Astron to float batteries.  There needs to be a diode
between the power supply and the batteries to prevent the batteries
from discharging back into the power supply when the AC is gone.  You
can alos use a BIG relay that drops the PSU when the AC goes off. I
actually do that with my Astron.  When the AC picks up I force the
repeater into low power (if it keys up) for a timed period to let the
batteries charge up to near float voltage.  The PSU needs current
limit or it will blow out when the power comes on.  So check repeater-
builder for the astron modification dope. Or you can gin up something
crude with relays like I did.
73 Ed K3SWJ