-----Original Message-----
From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Joe Montierth
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 7:52 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] I need to take 5 volts to 8 volts, and
one have a schematic

--- w9mwq <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wonder if anyone has a simple diagram to build a
> small circuit from 5
> volts to about 8 volts.  Was told I could use an
> opto isolator, but am
> not familiar with them.  I'm getting ready to
> interface the Kenwood TM-
> V7 radios to the RVS-8 voter, am told it needs at
> least 8 volts to run
> it.  The TM-V7a I know has 5 volts out of the packet
> controller
> connection.  I will also need to take a 3 volt up to
> 8 volts from my
> GE receiver.  Any suggestions.  Thanks.
>
> Mathew

What you are needing is "level translation" of digital
levels from one voltage to another. You can do it with
transistors and resistors, op-amps, or other chips
designed to do this. Depending on how many receivers
you need to do will determine the actual easiest and
cheapest solution.

I did a similiar thing with an RVS-8, and used 2 LM324
op-amps to do the level shifting. Besides the 2 chips,
a few resistors were required. I built the whole thing
on a RS proto board. Or you could use a ULN2003 or
similiar chip. Another solution is to run a 47K pullup
from the RVS-8 input to 12v, and a series zener diode
of about 3.9 volts to the RX COR out. This will change
your 0 to 5 volt logic to 3.9 to 8.9 volt logic, which
is enough to make the RVS unit work.

Joe

http://mail.yahoo.com