Anyone have an extra one of these repeaters they are willing to
sacrafice for experimentation purposes?

Seeing as 4K00J3E is an aceptable emission in the ham bands it has
been decided to leave the modulation type the same (ACSSB).  This
would allow use of the surplus HT and mobile radios currently on the
market and it apears to have advantages over FM.

Taking a first glance at the schematic it looks to me that the best
angle of attack is a chip that will sit on the control pins for both
the RX and TX boards that will intercept the normal synthisizer
command and replace them with what ever the command was and add a 2
MHz off set to the channel with a jumper to add an additional 1.6 MHz
on top of that for use in the other side.

But I need some confirmations for this to work.  Can the transmitter
be freely assigned to channels 1-399 or is it stuck on 1 - 199?  This
is because I need approx 1.22 MHz of channels and I would only have
enough addresses for 1.00MHz if the transmitter can only get the 200
channels.

The concept would then be that transmit channel 1 = 222.0 MHz and each
channel incr would be 5kHz.  Receiver channel 1 would be 223.6.  This
would allow programing of the channels from the front panel instead of
burning a chip every time you QSYed the repeater.  And theoretically
it would allow the repeater to run "trunked".

We could still get away with the 200 channels but the spacing would
have to increase to either 10 or 15kHz, which ever is standard in the
220 realm and that just wouldn't be as nice as the carrier is only
taking up 4K of bandwidth anyway,

Most of 220 is a mystery for me, so I would also like some information
on what the official band plan and channel spacings are.  Not a lot of
kids on the block have 220 anything.

On a related note,  I think that the idea I have for a cheap duplexer
for 2M wont work very good there as the spacing needs to be 800kHz
minimum for low insertion loss. so it should be cost effective for
220, where 1.6M is the split.