I trust that if there is no Low-Pass filter at the isolator output, a passband
cavity would do the job?
LJ

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Dengler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: May 9, 2005 10:13 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Low-Pass Filters for Ferrite Isolators

At 5/7/2005 10:53 AM, you wrote:
>Steve,
>
>There is nothing special about the low-pass filter that might require you
>to use a
>particular brand name.  A ferrite isolator is a nonlinear device, and
>therefore it
>will generate a strong second harmonic which must be attenuated by either
>a notch
>filter or a low-pass filter.

Not always.  If the isolator is driven far below it's rating, it may not go
nonlinear.  We once tested an EMR Corp. 220 MHz isolator being driven with
~90 watts.  The output spectrum from our RFPA was no different with the
isolator in line (no increase or decrease in harmonic content).

If you have a power attenuator handy, it might be worth actually looking at
the harmonic levels coming out of your isolator with a spectrum
analyzer.   You can't use a coupler for this test because it's frequency
response will taint the measurement.

Bob NO6B